Ever since I can remember, I have always been interested in Art and considered myself someone who could create something from nothing; whether drawing lines in the dirt or carving pieces of wood found around the home, Art has always been my passion.
In 1992 I enrolled at the University of South Australia completing an Honours Degree in Painting and Sculpture in 1995, and in the process winning the Inaugural Acquisitive Art Prize offered by the University.
As an abstract expressionist painter, I use colour, texture, paint and gestural markings to form the critical elements of my composition. At times, text is interspersed to give another layer of meaning and richness to my paintings.
I am motivated by the media’s manipulation and the greed of the multi-corporations. As such, I aim for people to reflect upon the difference between what is real and what is perceived to be real. My work deals with ‘The Real’: not the simulacra but reality as we feel it from within. This primal emotion, this intuitive feeling is not that which is presented to us by the media or by cultural beliefs but rather a feeling that is raw and real. It is necessary to scratch the surface to find meaning, provided we are looking.
I paint to evoke a response from the viewer; a reawakening of hidden feelings about personal conditions and experiences we all share and with which we have a certain empathy. The viewer becomes the author who deconstructs the work at leisure and so, I choose not to sign my work.
- 1995 graduate exhibition Exit at the University of SA
- 1995 solo Blue Iguana café in Adelaide
- 1995 solo Stressed Out in Adelaide CBD
- 1995 group exhibition Odeon in Adelaide
- 1995 Winner of UNISA Library Inaugural Annual Prize
- 1996 Group exhibition Nexus Multicultural Art Centre, Adelaide
- 2001 solo Bonnart Gallery Hampton, Melbourne
- 2002 solo Chamarel Restaurant, Richmond Melbourne
- 2014 solo at the Kingston Arts Centre, Moorabbin Melbourne
Work held in private collections in Australia and overseas.
Represented by WITHOUT PIER GALLERY -
Bay Road, Cheltenham VIC